Tuesday 12 April 2016

CHARACTER: Week 5

Today we completed another section of "Loves Labours Lost" and received feedback from the rest of the class during our sections. Below is some of the feedback we received:


FEEDBACK

  1. Bigger physical movement and characters to draw out the intensity of the scene
  2. Respond to each other more
  3. Know and understand your lines as it will allow you to convey the meaning of the lines to a modern audience who aren't well versed with old English
  4. Hit the verbs to convey meaning
  5. Make sure there is a reason for your movement
  6. A personal note-  work on the relationship between me and Daisy so we have similar intentions when in the scene as we are playing the same character

RESPONSE TO FEEDBACK

  1. To get bigger physical movement I believe that I need to use the beginning tasks that Sarah runs throughout the rehearsal so I stay in character. For example a very helpful task today was to imagine my character (The Princess) as an animal. We gradually transformed ourselves into the animal adopting characteristics, till we were complexity 100% the embodiment of our character as an animal. I chose a gazelle  
  • Gazelle's like the Princess are very alert and sharp but they are also beautiful; striking even 
  • They are also still very elegant creatures even though they move so quickly
  • their main defence is their alertness, much like the princess who's sharp and witty retorts derive from her high intellect that allows her to always be aware of the situation at hand. 











2.  The way we could possibly respond to each other more is through eye contact, I think that is something we are lacking a lot of right now as many of us are looking down at our scripts for the next line or to follow the scene and aren't living the circumstances or the moments. To improve we all as a cast need to have learnt our lines so we can keep the pace up and work on our on stage dynamic.

3. Knowing and understanding lines http://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/labours/section1/page/2/
I have gone through my entire play after reading the scene by scene synopsis and connecting the descriptions of the scenes to our abridged version, I now believe I understand the gist of all my speeches in the performance, I will later have to go through the play adding circumstances and actions to my speech to act on the lack of physical character mentioned in no1.'s feedback.

4. I have gone through my play and highlighted all the active verbs, having said the lines with emphasise on the verbs I now notice that the meaning I'm trying to convey is now more easily understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment